Homemade - Handmade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beetroot Chutney

Go down

Beetroot Chutney Empty Beetroot Chutney

Post  Admin-Hollie Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm

We grew Beetroot for the first time in our garden this year. Unsure what to do with it I made Beetroot Chutney. Here is the recipe.....

first, I pulled up the beetroot. We had some rogue white ones in there too!!! they were washed thoroughly...
Beetroot Chutney Beetro10

I then left around 2" of stalk on the beets and boiled them for around 45 mins.
Beetroot Chutney Beetro11

When soft (like a potato when youre boiling it - test with knife), pull out and leave to cool a little. To remove the skin just hold onto the stalk and twist the beet in your hand and the skin will slip away. (I used rubber gloves so I didn't get pink hands!)
Beetroot Chutney Beetro12

Chop up the Beets to say 1/4" chunks, add chopped onion, peeled cooking apple, some spices of choice, salt, pepper and quite alot of sugar (maybe a whole cup) and enough malt or cider vinegar to cover the mixture. You could use white vinegar, if so I would use half white vinegar half water as it's quite strong. Stew for as long as it needs to get thick and "chutney-ey":
Beetroot Chutney Beetro13

Put into steralised jars. Empty jam jars were quite expensive so I bought Tesco Value Marmalade (19p a jar) and emptied the marmalade down the sink and washed the jars, placed them in boiling water to steralise and then filled with Chutney. For regular jam jars this size, 1kg of veg-fruit mix needed around 500ml of liqued and filled around 2 jars!
Beetroot Chutney Beetro14
Admin-Hollie
Admin-Hollie
Admin

https://home.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum